Attendance at school is extremely important. By state law, a student who has more than 3 unexcused absences is determined to be in violation of the truancy laws.
The following is a listing of the only reasons that are excuseable:
- Due to his or her illness
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or cit health officer
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic services rendered
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided by law
- Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child whom the pupil is the custodial parent
- With Prior Principal Approval, for justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited ti, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service past the allowable day(s), observance of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion, attendance at religious retreats or attendance at an employment conference when the pupl's absence has been requested in writing, prior to the absence, by the parent/guardian and approved by the principal.
- With Prior Principal Approval, for the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Election Code.
- Pupils who are members of religions that observe religious holidays that fall on school days may be excusable from school by making prior arrangements, as specified by the school principal and with written parental/guardian request.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ARE THE ABOVE REASONS ARE THE ONLY REASONS THAT WILL NOT TRIGGER A TRUANCY LETTER.
BELOW ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF UNEXCUSED ABSENCES:
Three or more of the following excuses will trigger a Truancy letter:
- Running errands for family
- Vacations or trips
- Unverified illness
- Family emergency
- Transportation problems
- Inclement weather
- Absent from class without school or parent/guardian permission
- Absence uncleared for more than 10 school days despite due diligence efforts to obtain an explanation from the parent/guardian
- Unexcused tardy for 30 minutes or more
- No note from parent/guardian