2021 Applying to College
Deadline to request teacher/counselor letter of recommendations and complete brag sheet on Naviance for all Early Action/Decision - October 1, 2021
Deadline to request teacher/counselor letter of recommendations and complete brag sheet on Naviance for Regular Decision - November 1, 2021
¨ Complete Teacher and Counselor Bragsheet on Naviance (Oct. 1st) Early admissions and (Nov. 1st) Regular Admissions
¨ Finalize College List on Naviance (under College Tab)
o If you decide to add other colleges after this date you must see Mrs . Mackey specifically if they require letters of recommendation or any forms to be submitted.
¨ Send SAT/ ACT scores to colleges and universities (if applicable) via Collegeboard.org or Act.org
How Many Letters to Request.
Most colleges will require 1-2 Letters of Recommendation. You may not request more than 2 core teachers (Math, English, and Science). Teachers will have the right to decline requests. If students would benefit from one more letter from a non core teacher complete an option 3rd request.
INSTRUCTIONS: To Request letters of recommendation
Part 1: Create Common App Account. www.commonapp.org. Add colleges you are applying to and complete FERPA waiver form.
Part 2: Add colleges to your Naviance account and MATCH common app to Naviance.
Part 3: Ask teachers first about requesting a recommendation, then request teachers through Naviance in College Tab.
Part 4: Complete tasks required for recommendations on Planner tab in Naviance
- Student Brag Sheet, due date: 10/1 -or- 11/1
- LACES Teacher Recommendation Brag Sheet #1, due date: 10/1 -or 11/1
- LACES Teacher Recommendation Brag Sheet #2, due date: 10/1 -or 11/1
** Due Date October 1, for Early Decision, Early Action, or Restrictive Early Action.
For Step by Step directions to request letters of recommendations see "2021 College Check list Sheet"
When Completing documents on Naviance:
- Be specific in the information included in each section. If you use an acronym for an organization, be sure to explain it if it's meaning is not commonly known.
- Be sure that all responses include sufficient details. The more information you provide, the more informed and complete your counselor's assessment of you can be.
- Remember, the purpose of a counselor's recommendation is to explain to the college what makes you special!